All Sheroes events are brainstormed and archived online at fuckyeahsheroes.tumblr.com, uniting digital communities with real-time audiences in an ongoing exploration into fan culture and collaborative content creation.
Virtual Season — our culminating presentation of new and past Sheroes on/offline works & performances — is currently gearing into its first international reunion tour. We will be announcing soon tour dates. (If you would like to book a Sheroes event, please contact us.)
”Known for its all-inclusive, queer-friendly environment, Naco was never short of experimental in its offerings. Last Friday, for example, there was a Yoko Ono tribute thing as part of the latest Sheroes jam featuring installations & GIF art. (Dare you to find a tolerable party series like this somewhere else.)
Dub poet Naila Keleta-Mae brings the resounding word in this one-time only performance of Tina Turner’s “Proud Mary”, backed by the plunderphonic noises of DJ NoLoves (Alvaro Girón) & reeraw (Rea McNamara).
9 Reasons Why You Need To “Attend” Sheroes #3: Tina Turner: 1. It’s herstory done right. A FREE River Deep Mountain High Remix Tribute to the Acid Queen at Toronto’s NACO Gallery & Cafe on Friday, October 28th at 9PM.
2. Tina-esque Sampled Sounds. Sheroes salonnière reeraw(Frontish, Moonshine Cabaret) will push the Nutbush City Limits with plunderphonic homage.
3 Word, Sound, “Proud Mary”. Dub poet Naila Keleta-Mae will bring the resounding word (and collapse the oral-lit continuum) with a performance of “Proud Mary”.
4. Simply The Best, All Night Strong. DJ NoLoves (NACO, La Perla) brings out your Private Dancer by rocking you into the right night moves.
5. Group GIF Show. GIF artists Tony Halmos, Rollin Leonard, Sally McKay, and Lorna Mills will bring the seizure-inducing shakes with original Tina-esque GIF works projected on NACO’s walls.
6. Party Pics. Photographer Alyssa Katherine Faoro will be documenting the whole hot wig mess with party night snaps.
7. Buddhist Chant-Worthy Drink Special. NACO owner Julian Calleros will be serving the “Nam-Myoho Renge-Kyo” Champagne Cocktail, a one-night-only special in honour of Tina’s favourite indulgence (“Whenever I drink champagne I either laugh or cry… I get so emotional! I love champagne.”)
8. “League of Legendary Ladies” Trading Cards. Collect ‘em all, Crate Diggers! Tony Halmos has immortalized the Sheroes (First Lady of the Canyon, Mama Backbone, the Acid Queen) as the “League of Legendary Ladies” Trading Card series, which will be given out for free throughout the night.
9. Come as your own s/hero. It’s Halloween weekend, right? So let’s just say that costumes are encouraged.